Your child has shown an interest in auditioning for our school production which is Newsies Jr. The production will be held from 9th – 15th October, the first week of term 4. Could you please take the time to discuss the commitment your child would be making if they were successful in gaining a role. Please also check these dates; if your child is unavailable on these days then they will be unable to participate.
Learners have been given information and guidelines for their audition and what is expected of them. This information is also below. Chorus/dance/ensemble auditions will be held at school during weeks 7 and 8 at lunchtimes. Lead auditions will be on Saturday 25th March (times will be allocated). Learners who submit an audition sheet will be given a notice regarding this closer to the time. We will also be holding a callback audition for leads on Thursday 30th March from 3pm to 5pm. Students will be told on Monday 27th March if they are required to attend this workshopped callback, so please keep this day free for us just in case!
We’re hoping that the thought of auditioning won’t put the learners off! It looks daunting but we need to see them perform in several different ways before making our casting choices. Please encourage your child to make the effort as it would be a real shame if they regretted not auditioning later in the year. Please be reassured that we will find a space for all learners in the cast; the audition process allows us to check commitment, and to get enough knowledge of their singing ability to place them in the correct group.
Involvement in the show would mean learners will need to make production a priority in their school and extra curricular life, especially once we are in term 3 and heading towards opening night. At the same time, we are aware that our learners often have many activities outside of school and where possible we will liaise with the learners to avoid clashes with other activities. If your child is especially busy outside of school then you and your child may need to consider if committing to the school production is a viable choice, or whether a lead role is feasible.
Involvement will include:
- Lunchtime rehearsals as timetabled (1 per week in term 2, possibly more in term 3 and for leads).
- Wednesday morning full cast singing rehearsals from 7.45am – 8.30am.
- For leads – rostered Thursday after school rehearsals, 3-4.30pm. Not all leads would be required each Thursday.
- Holiday rehearsals in the second week of the Term 3 holidays. Exact days to be confirmed closer to the time – but we would appreciate it if your child was at home in this second week!
- Dress rehearsals on the weekend of 7th and 8th of October (final weekend of the holidays). This is immediately before the show opens and is essential that learners are able to attend.
- Using their own time to ensure they know all the songs, movements, lines, and dances.
This is a wonderful opportunity for your child and it is fantastic that they are keen to be involved. It is a major commitment but is also likely to be the highlight of their year and performing in front of an audience will be worth all the effort! Should you have any queries about the above please contact Leah Breeds at firstname.lastname@example.org .
If, having read all that, you and your child are keen to be part of our amazing show, please visit the school website under the menu Cultural Activities @ TIS to submit an audition form. The link will also be on the school notices.
Thank you for your support